Datastage is an Extract, Transform and Load ( ETL ) tool from IBM and part of their IBM InfoSphere. Here I have collected more than 70 interview questions with their answers about Datastage.Download Complete IBM Datastage Interview questions PDF.All these questions are frequently asked ones and better prepare all these before attending your Datastage interview . You can also refer Datastage Tutorials and PDF training materials.
DataStage is “ETL tool, which extracts data, transforms it and applies business rules and then loads it to any target.” According to Wikipedia, “IBM InfoSphere DataStage is an ETL tool and part of the IBM Information Platforms Solutions suite and IBM InfoSphere. It uses a graphical notation to construct data integration solutions and is available in various versions such as the Server Edition, the Enterprise Edition, and the MVS Edition.”
DataStage interview questions and answers
Are you booked for a DataStage interview? You may consider reading these few questions and answers before attending. They may be of great help to you in the long run.
- What are the areas of application?
Regardless of your field, DataStage offers you the unique privilege of storing and retrieving your data without any negative impact on your performance.
- What are the benefits of DataStage?
DataStage has three benefits. They are discussed below:
- Security controls: These offer researchers to have some designated areas for private uses. The researchers and their group leader only can have access to the area. For the benefit of the whole group. There are “collaborative” and “shared” areas where they can put files that are meant for the group.
- Web interface: This allows annotation of files to the users. They can also access any data from their personal computer at home.
- Repository: This option is also available for storing data permanently.
- How many areas for files does DataStage have?
DataStage has three storage areas for files. These are:
- Private: In this storage area, only the owner of a file and the administrator(s) can see the stored files.
- Shared: All members can see the files. However, they can only read the files without the liberty to amend it. It is read-only access they have.
- Collaborative: All the members can see a file. They can also edit the contents of a file because they have the right to read and write to the files.
- What are the components of DataStage?
DataStage has four main components which are:
- Designer: This is where you can create your job, compile and run it. It can display file layouts, transforms, routines, and tables that are defined in a particular job.
- Director: All the DataStage jobs you have can be run and monitored here. Scheduling and validating DataStage jobs can also be done here.
- Administrator: Administrator allows you to create some projects and users as well as specify roles for these. It is generally used to add or delete projects, specify the defaults for the general server, set the properties of a project and provide an interface for the DataStage repository.
- Web Console: If you ever need to change your login details, this is where you can do it.
- What are the features of DataStage?
Some of the main features are:
- It can extract data from any type or number of database.
- It has aggregates data where SQL SELECT statements used for data extraction can be modified.
- It has some functions and transforms that can be used for data conversion. To extend the functionality, you can design your own transform for use at any time.
- It can be used to modify the definitions of a table while designing your application.
- Prepare for this first question very well. Introduction about IBM Datastage tool
- There are mainly two tools used for the same purpose. Informatica and Datastage. Let us prepare the main difference bewteen these two ETL tools
- A sure questions ie about the main components of datastage
- Question about System variables
- About Merage
- About Sequencers
- Introduction about version COntrol in Datastage
- Another important Datastahe interview question about Active Stage and Passive stage
- Question about Datastage features
- About Data aggregation